Belleville, Kingston or Ottawa
Ainley Group is currently seeking a Junior to Intermediate Terrestrial Ecologist to join our Belleville, Kingston or Ottawa office. As a successful candidate, you will support our clients by completing field investigations, providing guidance, and assisting with natural heritage and environmental planning and permitting activities on a wide variety of projects. This position will provide you with the opportunity to use your technical expertise and interpersonal skills while assisting on projects and interacting with clients.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Coordinate and/or conduct field investigations including wetland assessment and boundary delineation, ecological land classification, and vegetative inventories.
- Conduct field surveys for wildlife including habitat assessments and targeted surveys for Species at Risk to support compliance permitting and/or compensation.
- Provide data analysis and interpretation, and assistance environmental reporting including Environmental Impact Studies, Environmental Assessments, and Natural Heritage studies.
- Support the environmental team with other duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary education in science or environmental studies (or equivalent) is required.
- 2-5 years of related work experience required.
- Training certifications such as Ontario Wetland Evaluation System, Ecological Land Classification, Butternut Health Assessment, etc. would be considered an asset.
- Previous experience working in an environmental consulting, conservation authority, or provincial or federal government in a biological role is considered an asset.
- Experience conducting botanical and wildlife surveys with an understanding of monitoring protocols. Experience with targeted species at risk surveys would be considered an asset.
- Experience completing existing conditions, impacts assessments, and development of mitigation and monitoring programs as part of Natural Heritage, Environmental Impact Studies, and Environmental Assessments.
- Willingness to work flexible hours (such as early starts and long hours) including field work under a variety of conditions in potentially remote and rugged locations in inclement weather.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office, and have excellent English writing and verbal communication skills for interacting with colleagues, clients, and documentation of field work and assessments in technical reporting.
- Valid driver’s license is required.
- Ability to learn other disciplines such as environmental planning, surveying, etc. would be considered an asset.
- Flexible schedule and work life balance.
- Salary increase based on performance.
- Sick leave and personal leave.
- Comprehensive benefit plan upon hiring.
- Matched pension plan upon hiring.
- Participation in a company profit-sharing plan.
- Continuous training and professional development.
- Reimbursement of professional association membership fees.
- Access to advanced technology tools.
And much more!
Location: Belleville, Kingston or Ottawa